Booking flights for the holidays is never an easy task. Most flights are sold out and to get the flight you really want it usually comes with a higher cost. Not to mention the flights are packed and the impact of delays is magnified.
Most experts agree the best day to book a flight is on a Tuesday and while that may be true for the holidays it is smart just to book it as soon as possible. When using miles can be difficult or not even worth it (due to higher rates) book your flight for the holidays early.
Kayak has some great tips on when to book that holiday flight this year.
- Book now! Both domestic and international flights begin to rise steeply come mid-November.
- For domestic flights, departing on Tuesday, 12/25 and returning on Friday, 12/28 could save you up to 21%.
- You can save at least 20% on international travel by departing close to or on 12/25 and returning close to New Year’s Eve.
- This year, travelers could be paying 27% more by departing on Saturday, 12/22 and returning on Saturday, 12/29. If you can, fly during the week to save some money.
- For New Year’s travel, consider departing on New Year’s Eve and returning on Thursday, 1/3 or Friday, 1/4 to save up to 27%.
For general year round travel, the lowest average domestic airfares are found 21 days prior to departure while international airfares are at their lowest point 34 days out. Here are some additional travel secrets:
- Don’t book too early: the average domestic fare found six months before a departure date was 19% higher than the 21 days out low.
- Travelers planning a weeklong domestic trip should depart on a Saturday and return on Monday to score the cheapest airfare (roughly 16% lower than average).
- For international weeklong trips, we recommend departing on a Tuesday and returning on Wednesday to save some $$. These flights were 21% lower than the average.